Monday, February 27, 2012

Popcorn!

So I read this article on seven foods to avoid. On the list was microwave popcorn. It's not something we eat often, but I do enjoy the simplicity and deliciousness of a bag of popcorn. However, I'm not keen on ingesting chemicals that can cause cancer and infertility. We found a simple solution. Here's what you need:

Popcorn Kernels
Paper lunch bag
Tape

Put about 1/4 cup of popcorn kernels into your paper bag. Fold the top over once or twice and put a piece of tape on it to hold it closed. A word to the wise: do NOT fold it down too much. Your popcorn will need room to expand and it will make the bag explode if you aren't careful. Don't ask me how I know this; I just do. :) Microwave for 2-3 minutes, or until there are a few seconds in between pops. It took about 2 minutes in our super-powered microwave.


We ate ours plain, but you can add whatever seasonings make you happy. I think I will put a little Lawry's Seasoning Salt on it next time. This is a great snack for the little ones. The Eskimo got a huge kick out of listening to the popcorn POP. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I just found your blog and am reading through. Good stuff! Just wanted to let you know the tape is not necessary (and possibly toxic) if you don't overfill the bag. We've been making our popcorn this way for years and have never had an explosion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the tip! We'll try it without tape next time!

      Delete