Sunday, January 16, 2011

Tennis!!

Time to take a break from parenting for a minute. There's TENNIS on! The Australian open has just started, and if you didn't already know this, I'm a huge tennis fan. Now, normally, I sit glued to the television watching tennis and knitting for all of the grand slams. But I have a baby now. And, well, that's just not allowed. There are a lot of things that change when you become a mom, and how you spend your time is one of the most significant. Now, I wouldn't trade the Eskimo or my time with him for the world. But I have days where I would really like to have my "old life" back, just for a couple of days. I want to watch tennis. I want to take a tennis lesson. I used to hit 2 or 3 times a week. I haven't hit a tennis ball since I was 5 months pregnant; almost a year ago. It's one of those things I've had to give up, for now.

When you become a parent, balance is key. You can very easily give up everything that was you and lose yourself in the daily tasks of parenting. And I have a pretty good balance. The Eskimo is asleep by 8 every night, and that gives me a couple of hours to sit and knit, or read a book, or do the dishes, or go to bed early. That's my "grown-up" time, and I love it dearly. I know a lot of moms out there who have trouble getting their little ones to bed at night and are robbed of this precious time.

This post could easily transition into a post about sleep right now. I am VERY opinionated on the subject as I feel that sleep is something that is easily provided to children, but is often denied them. And that's horrible and unfair to the child. But let's not go there. We'll save that for another post. :)

Where was I? Oh, tennis. For the next couple of weeks, I might have to let some of the housework slide and spend the Eskimo's naps glued to the tv. And I may have to break my "rule" of no tv around the baby. He needs to learn this stuff anyway, right? I mean, how can he grow up to be a tennis star if I don't let him watch the Australian Open?! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment